RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) – Sex shop chain Hustler Hollywood plans to open a new store across from the Children’s Museum of Richmond and the Science Museum of Virginia, a move that museum executives say “doesn’t feel not in the spirit” of the city’s development goals.

Hustler Hollywood, which the chain describes as “a modern, upscale sex shop,” will replace the old Pizza Hut across the museums at 2343 W. Broad St in the Fan District. Some of the permits filed with the city have been approved, while others are still under review.

Danielle Ripperton, executive director of the Children’s Museum of Richmond, and Richard Conti, director of wonders at the Science Museum of Virginia, said in a joint statement that they were working to learn more about the store and wondered if the location of the store complied with the city plans.

“This retailer in this location does not feel in the spirit of the Pulse Corridor plan Where the richmond 300 dietwhich seeks to find the highest and best use for development in this area, especially alongside two community-based institutions that serve hundreds of thousands of families and children each year,” the statement read.

View of the Science Museum of Virginia in Richmond from the Hustler Hollywood storefront. (Photo: Dean Mirshahi)

Councilwoman Katherine Jordan represents the area and says her office has spoken with residents, neighborhood stakeholders and city departments “to understand the relevant local laws and regulations and how they apply in this case, as well only to ensure that they are applied fairly and with due diligence.

Jordan’s office told 8News in Richmond that the Hustler Hollywood store does not need city council approval to open because it is not considered an adult entertainment business or bookstore. The application filed with the city defined the store as a general retail store, according to the city’s Planning and Development Review Department.

Hustler Hollywood’s business description for the store states “there will be no adult books, magazines or DVDs” on the site and that 80% of its floor space would be reserved for items such as lingerie, t-shirts, fancy candies and condoms. The remaining 20% ​​of its products are believed to be in the adult novelty realm, including “anatomically correct massagers, balls, dildos” or other similar products, according to the filing.

Jordan’s office said the councilwoman connected neighborhood stakeholders with Hustler Hollywood.

Previous

Residents react to the opening of a sex shop opposite the children's and science museums

Next

Christian Petersen Art Museum to Host Free Nighttime Event - Iowa State Daily

Check Also