There are plenty of holiday events planned for this weekend – you can check out some of them in Journal-World’s holiday event guide – but that’s not all that’s happening in Lawrence.
Don’t forget that Friday is also the last Friday, when you can enjoy the creations of local artists. Last Friday events include:
• John Sebelius will unveil his new exhibition, “Palpitation,” at the Phoenix Underground, 825 Massachusetts St., from 6 to 9 p.m. In the upper gallery, unique handcrafted gifts will be exhibited. There will be live music on both levels by The Twangles and Alonzo Beardsshear, as well as coffee samples and treats from the Great Blue Heron.
• See oil abstracts by Lori Warren, animal and nature animations by Kaden Lee, and colorful handmade mandalas by Jackie Denning from 5-9 p.m. at Archibowls, 125 E. 10th St. Il There will also be a raffle for a cheesecake, as well as drink specials with free mug giveaways.
• The Art of Hope at Vibe Studio, 1014 Massachusetts St., 7-9pm
• The Lawrence Art Guild All-Members Show at the Cider Gallery, 810 Pennsylvania St., 5-9 p.m.
• Man/Ape Vol.4: Black Friday at Bourgeois Pig, 6 E. Ninth St., 6-9pm
• Holiday Launch, Bishop’s Curiosities, 840 Delaware St., Unit 6, 5:30-8 p.m.
Lawrence residents and their out-of-town guests can enjoy ongoing exhibits at the Watkins Museum of History, which is open Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Visitors can learn about the materials testing performed on “Old Sacramento”, the gun used in several Kansas Territory Battles. Exhibits also include “Not a Straight Path: The Fight for Queer Rights in Lawrence” and “Lawrence Memorial Hospital: A Century of Care.”
The Spencer Museum of Art at the University of Kansas is open Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. In the galleries on the third floor, the “Debut” exhibition presents works of art from the museum’s collection that have never been exhibited before. Free entry.
This weekend is also Small Business Saturday, a great opportunity to do some holiday shopping at local merchants. Check local businesses’ websites and social media for their hours and special offers.